Gastrointestinal cancer treatment in Austin and Central Texas
If you have been diagnosed with gastrointestinal (GI) cancer, the compassionate cancer team at St. David's HealthCare is here for you. As part of Sarah Cannon, we are committed to offering the highest level of care—from diagnosis to cutting-edge treatment options—for complex GI tumors.
To learn more about our GI cancer services, please call askSARAH at (512) 840-6032.
Features of our complex GI cancer program
The oncology specialists at our hospitals provide advanced treatment for cancers involving the GI tract. We take a multidisciplinary approach to your treatment, including:
- Surgical oncology – Surgical oncologists at our hospitals have specialized knowledge of rare, unusual and complex cancer types and treat many patients with these conditions. They use traditional and minimally invasive surgical techniques to treat these diseases.
- Interventional radiology – Interventional radiologists use radioembolization treatments (selective internal radiation therapy) as well as chemoembolization and radio frequency ablation (RFA).
- Medical and radiation oncology – Medical oncologists offer specialized chemotherapeutic treatment plans. Radiation oncologists deliver external and internal beam radiation therapy to referred patients.
- Gastroenterology/hepatology – Board-certified gastroenterologists offer advanced GI care, including endoscopic ultrasound (EUS) to precisely diagnose and determine the stage of cancer. They also provide palliative drainage and stenting procedures for advanced malignancies.
Types of GI cancer we treat
Your oncologist will work with you to determine the best method of treatment for your conditions. GI cancers we treat include:
- Complex colon, rectal and anal cancer
- Esophageal and gastric cancer
- Hepatobiliary cancer
- Liver metasis
- Neuroendocrine tumors
- Pancreatic cancer
- Retroperitoneal cancer
Effectively treating GI cancer starts with an accurate diagnosis. The gastroenterologists at our hospitals use advanced diagnostic technology to determine the presence of cancer and decide the best method of treatment. Tests we offer include:
- Endoscopic ultrasound (EUS)
- Endobronchial ultrasound (EBUS)
- Esophagogastroduodenoscopy (EGD)
- Magnetic resonance cholangiopancreatography (MRCP)
Treatments we provide
We work with you to develop a treatment plan that best meets your needs and helps you recover as quickly as possible. Types of treatment we offer include:
- Endoscopic retrograde cholangiopancreatography (ERCP)
- Complex laparoscopic and open multi-visceral resections
- Microwave ablation
- Irreversible electroporation (IRE)
Complex GI Program
The Complex GI Program is a multidisciplinary physician-led work group, which meets every other month. We also host a multidisciplinary GI malignancy conference on a biweekly basis. During the conference, experts in medical oncology, gastroenterology, surgical oncology and radiology work to develop treatment plans for each patient.
Additional cancer support services we offer
We take a holistic approach to treating your cancer. Because of this, we also offer the following cancer support resources:
- Rehabilitation services
- Nutrition services
- Hospital chaplain
Oncology nurse navigator
As part of our commitment to offer you personalized care, our complex GI nurse navigator will walk alongside you and answer any questions you may have throughout your cancer journey. Your nurse navigator will also help you coordinate your cancer care and make informed decisions during treatment.
To reach a complex GI nurse navigator, call (512) 487-4145.
About Sarah Cannon Cancer Institute
As part of Sarah Cannon, the Cancer Institute of HCA Healthcare, our family of hospitals provides comprehensive cancer services with convenient access to cutting-edge therapies for people facing cancer in our communities. From diagnosis to treatment and survivorship care, our oncology expertise ensures you have access to locally trusted care with the support of a globally recognized network.
Have cancer questions? We can help. askSARAH is a dedicated helpline for your cancer-related questions. Our specially trained nurses are available 24/7, and all calls are confidential. Contact askSARAH at (512) 840-6032 or chat online at askSARAHnow.