Pediatric Care in Austin and Central Texas
St. David's Children's Hospital provides comprehensive pediatric care for children from birth to 18 years old. Our compassionate, experienced teams of pediatric specialists will keep you and your child comfortable and make your transition home as seamless as possible.
To speak to a nurse about any pediatric questions, call the our 24/7 nurse line at (844) 533-5437.
Complete pediatric care
With more than 90 locations across Central Texas, our network of hospitals and emergency rooms (ERs) are equipped to care for your child—no matter what their needs may be. Many of our hospitals offer these services, but one location specializes exclusively in pediatric care: St. David’s Children’s Hospital on the St. David’s North Austin Medical Center campus. This hospital features:
- Dedicated emergency care in a 10-bed, pediatric-only ER
- Dedicated operating room exclusively for pediatric patients
- Inpatient care in an eight-bed medical surgical unit with 24/7 pediatric hospitalist coverage
- Intensive care in a six-bed pediatric intensive care unit (PICU) with 24/7 pediatric intensivist coverage
Neonatal intensive care
Our neonatal intensive care units (NICUs) provide advanced technology and experienced staff to treat babies born prematurely or with an illness. The dedicated teams at these units include neonatologists, neonatal nurse practitioners, nurse navigators and other pediatric specialists. Our NICUs are located at:
- St. David’s Georgetown Medical Center (Level I NICU)
- St. David’s Round Rock Medical Center (Level II NICU)
- St. David’s South Austin Medical Center (Level II NICU)
- St. David’s Women’s Center of Texas (Level III NICU)
- St. David’s Medical Center (Level IV NICU)
Our neonatal surgical programs ensure we can provide complete care for babies who need special medical attention. Our board-certified neonatologists, available 24/7, collaborate with pediatric surgeons, anesthesiologists, radiologists and nurses throughout your newborn's stay in the NICU.
In addition, our new Peds MedSurg unit includes six inpatient beds and four overflow beds.
General pediatric care
Our pediatric services throughout Central Texas provide children access to comprehensive care as they grow up. Several pediatric specialties are available, including:
- Biologic infusions
- Ear, nose and throat care
- Exchange transfusions
- Infectiology (infectious disease care)
- Nephrology (kidney care)
- Obstetrics and gynecology
- Otolaryngology (head and neck care)
- Pediatric surgery, including reconstructive surgery
- Psychiatry via telemedicine
Child life services
A hospital visit can be emotionally and mentally challenging, both for children and their families. That is why we offer the support of a certified child life specialist. These medical professionals are experts in the psychosocial and developmental impact of pediatric illnesses and injuries. They promote effective coping and support your child and family by:
- Advocating for patient rights and educating parents about positive ways to help their children understand illness and hospitalization
- Facilitating play opportunities to decrease pain and anxiety, promote normalization, encourage expression and support optimal development and coping
- Providing information about procedures, diagnostic tests and diagnoses
- Reducing anxiety by addressing fears and/or misconceptions about treatment
- Teaching families about coping techniques, such as relaxation exercises
Retrieving location data...