Weight loss surgery candidates in Austin and Central Texas
Deciding to have bariatric surgery is a big step in your weight loss journey. Because of this, the weight loss team at St. David's HealthCare takes time to determine if you qualify for the procedure and if it is the right option for you.
To learn more about bariatric surgery with St. David's HealthCare, please call (512) 544-5433.
Bariatric surgery qualifications
There are specific criteria you must meet to qualify for bariatric surgery, including:
- Being more than 100 pounds over your healthy body weight
- Having a body mass index (BMI) that is:
- Greater than 40
- 35 and experiencing severe negative health effects, such as:
- Arthritis and joint disease
- Heart disease
- High blood pressure
- Obstructive sleep apnea
- Type 2 diabetes
- Inability to achieve a healthy body weight for a sustained period of time, even through medically supervised dieting
Weight loss seminar
One of the best ways to find out how weight loss surgery can help you achieve your health and fitness goals is by attending our free, one-hour informational seminar. During the seminar, a surgeon will discuss the procedures performed at our hospitals. You will also gain insight to help you determine which procedure is the best choice for you.
The seminar includes:
- Detailed explanation of the different weight loss surgery procedures and how to choose the right one for you
- General overview of how to begin the process of being evaluated as a surgical candidate
- Question and answer session
Bariatric seminar locations
St David's Medical Center–Seminar takes place twice a month from 6:30pm to 7:30pm at St. David’s Midtown Medical Office Building on the fifth floor.
To register for our bariatric seminar at St. David's Round Rock, call our metabolic and bariatric coordinator at (512) 341-5789.
Online bariatric seminar
We also offer an online bariatric seminar. During the video, you will hear from a bariatric surgeon, individuals who have successfully completed the surgery and the bariatric center nurses and support staff.
Weight loss assessment
We offer a short questionnaire to help you determine if you should talk to one of our doctors about weight loss surgery. Click below to answer a few questions, and we will send you your results within minutes.
Insurance coverage for bariatric surgery
Your individual policy will determine if your procedure is covered and what out-of-pocket expenses you can expect. We will help you navigate any policy coverage questions you may have.
At a weight loss seminar you will learn more about how to find out the answers to your coverage questions, but you can also contact your insurance carrier. Questions you may want to ask include:
- Is bariatric surgery a covered procedure under my plan?
- What procedures, specifically, are covered?
- What are the coverage requirements for my plan?
- What are my appeal rights if coverage is denied by my plan?
Cost of bariatric surgery
The cost of weight loss surgery will vary depending on your insurance. We will discuss your deductible and out-of-pocket expenses with you prior to your procedure.
If you do not have insurance coverage for weight loss surgery, there may be several financing options for you. We will help determine what is available and appropriate for you.