The Wound Healing and Hyperbaric Medicine Center offers a comprehensive treatment program for patients with acute and chronic wounds. Our team includes physicians credentialed in Hyperbaric Medicine and Wound Care, nurses, certified hyperbaric technicians, and patient care technicians.
Our multi-disciplinary approach includes:
- Vascular Assessment
- Transcutaneous Oximetry
- Glucose Control
- Diabetes Education
- Growth Factor Therapy
- Bio-engineered Skin Equivalents
Wound Care Services
Wound healing is a complex process that may require specialized intervention. Hyperbaric oxygen therapy (HBOT) is a safe, effective method of providing the necessary oxygen for healing in patients with chronic wounds. HBOT promotes vascular formation, facilitates the action of the body’s healing cells and inhibits bacterial growth.
Conditions We Treat
- Bone necrosis
- Brown recluse spider bites
- Chronic non-healing wounds
- Compromised skin grafts
- Crush injuries
- Decompression sickness
- Decubitus ulcers (pressure sores)
- Diabetic foot and leg ulcers
- Diabetic wounds
- Ischemic wounds (wounds with no blood supply)
- Osteomyelitis (bone infection)
- Ostomy-related skin problems and wounds
- Peripheral vascular disease and circulatory-related wounds
- Radionecrosis (tissue damage due to radiation therapy)
- Refractory osteomyelitis (recurrent bone infection)
- Soft tissue necrosis (death of muscle or skin tissue)
- Traumatic wounds
What is Hyperbaric Medicine?
The environment within the Hyperbaric chamber is pressurized with compressed air to a pressure that is 2-3 times greater than we are exposed to at sea level. This increase in pressure facilitates the delivery of oxygen to the affected wounds as the patient breathes up to 100% oxygen via a treatment hood. Typically each treatment is 2 hours in duration and the patient receives daily treatments for 20-40 days, depending upon the diagnosis and outcomes. Qualified assistants and a supervising physician closely monitor patients at all times.
Our Hyperbaric Chambers can comfortably accommodate up to three patients and one attendant. Our staff are fully qualified and certified by the National Board of Diving and Hyperbaric technology.
Learn more about health conditions and treatments. Browse the links in this Health Library to obtain information on a variety of health topics.
Are you at risk? Prevent & protect.
St. David’s HealthCare Help Center
- Find a doctor and make an appointment
- Answer healthcare questions
- Register for classes & events