AUSTIN, Texas – On March 4, 2019, St. David’s Medical Center—including Heart Hospital of Austin and St. David’s Georgetown Hospital—was named among the nation’s 100 Top Hospitals by IBM Watson HealthTM. The Watson Health 100 Top Hospitals® study spotlights the top-performing hospitals in the U.S. based on a balanced scorecard of publicly available clinical, operational, and patient satisfaction metrics and data.
The study, which has been conducted annually since 1993, uses independent and objective research to analyze hospital and health system performance in 10 clinical and operational areas addressing:
- Risk-adjusted inpatient mortality index
- Risk-adjusted complications index
- Mean healthcare-associated infection index
- Mean 30-day risk-adjusted mortality rate
- Mean 30-day risk-adjusted readmission rate
- Severity-adjusted length of stay
- Mean emergency department throughput
- Case mix- and wage-adjusted inpatient expense per discharge
- Adjusted operating profit margin
- Hospital Consumer Assessment of Healthcare Providers and Systems (HCAHPS) score. (Patient rating of overall hospital performance.)
This is the tenth year in a row that St. David’s Medical Center, including Heart Hospital of Austin and St. David’s Georgetown Hospital, has been recognized as one of the nation’s 100 Top Hospitals.
Based on the results of this year’s study, if all Medicare inpatients received the same level of care as those treated in the 100 Top Hospitals:
- More than 103,000 additional lives could be saved.
- More than 38,000 additional patients could be free from complications.
- More than $8.2 billion in inpatient costs could be saved.
- Approximately 155,000 fewer discharged patients would be readmitted within 30 days.
The winning hospitals were announced in the March 4th edition of Modern Healthcare magazine.
For more information, visit 100TopHospitals.com.
- 30 -
St. David’s HealthCare
With more than 117 sites across Central Texas, St. David’s HealthCare includes seven of the area’s leading hospitals and is one of the largest health systems in Texas. The organization has been recognized with a Malcolm Baldrige National Quality Award—the nation’s highest presidential honor for performance excellence. St. David’s HealthCare is the third-largest private employer in the Austin area, with more than 10,200 employees.
St. David’s HealthCare is a unique partnership between a hospital management company and two local non-profits—St. David’s Foundation and Georgetown Health Foundation. The proceeds from the operations of the hospitals fund the foundations, which, in turn, invest those dollars back into the community. Since the inception of St. David’s HealthCare in 1996, more than $518 million has been given back to the community to improve the health and healthcare of Central Texans.
IBM Watson Health
Watson Health is a business unit of IBM that is dedicated to the development and implementation of cognitive and data-driven technologies to advance health. Watson Health technologies are tackling a wide range of the world’s biggest health care challenges, including cancer, diabetes, drug discovery and more. Learn more at IBM.com/Watson/Health.