St. David's South Austin Medical Center volunteers are a vital part of our healthcare team and make a lasting difference in our patients' lives. Volunteers add an extra measure of kindness and courtesy to patients, their families, visitors, hospital personnel, and fellow volunteers. Volunteer opportunities are available for adults (age 18+, including college students). We are currently not accepting any Teen Summer Volunteers.
Several steps must be completed prior to becoming a volunteer at SDSAMC:
- Complete a Volunteer Application (Link and information below)
- Submit to a background check
- Participate in a peer interview process with the SDSAMC Auxiliary Membership Committee
If you are accepted as a volunteer, you must be prepared to:
- Have a TB blood test (provided free of charge at the St. David's Occupational Health Center on 32nd Street)
- Provide documentation of required immunizations (including COVID-19, TDap, MMR, Varicella/Chicken Pox)
- Attend a full day of Volunteer Orientation at SDSAMC
Both morning and afternoon weekday shifts are available, depending on the area assigned. Specific shift availability and duties will be discussed during your initial interview. Each volunteer will receive appropriate training and orientation to the assigned area of service. We ask that volunteers commit to at least 50 hours of annual service to the hospital to remain in active status. If you are a college student wishing to volunteer, we ask for a minimum volunteer commitment of one academic year.
Examples of places our volunteers serve are:
Main volunteer station, gift shop, critical care and surgery waiting rooms, selected hospital departments or nursing units.
For more information, please contact the Volunteer Services Department at (512) 816-7405 or email us.
Apply to become a Volunteer today by filling out a SDSAMC Volunteer application (Online or Print > Fill > Mail the form).
Please send all applications to the Volunteer Services Department by:
Mail Printed Applications to:
St. David's South Austin Medical Center
Volunteer Services Department
901 W. Ben White
Austin, TX 78704