Thank you for your interest in our Teen Summer Program!
The St. David’s Medical Center’s Teen Summer Volunteer Program gives local high school students a unique opportunity to gain experience in a healthcare setting while gaining personal satisfaction through volunteer service. High school students ages 15-18 are invited to participate in our summer program. Teens must be 15 by June 1st. We cannot make any exceptions to this rule.
The Summer Program is a 7-8 week program typically from the first week of June through the end of July. Students must be available for the entire length of the program. Teens volunteer two shifts per week each lasting three-four hours. Students will be able to sign up for the day(s) and time(s) that work best for them in one of our high priority services areas: The Volunteer Desk, Main Lobby Information Desk, Discharge Lounge or the Atrium Gift Shop.
We want to ensure this is an enjoyable experience for you and it is important that you are able to meet the requirements above. If you are unable to do so, we encourage you to explore other opportunities available in the Austin community. We wish we were able to accept all students who are interested in volunteering. However, our summer program is limited to 30 students. Late applications/packets will not be considered.
Summer 2023 Timeline:
- Completed Packets due: Friday, April 21, 2023 by 12:00 pm
- Interviews (by invitation): Saturday, April 29, 2023
- Orientation (by invitation): Saturday, June 3, 2023 (8:00am–5:00pm)
- Summer 2023 program dates: Monday, June 5, 2023 thru Friday, July 28, 2023
Steps to apply for the Teen Summer Program
- Apply: Applicants should complete the online application form. Applications are only accepted during specified time frames.
- Submit Additional Paperwork*: Once your initial application has been received, our office will email you the additional paperwork needed to complete your application. Please ensure we have your correct email address on file. Additional paperwork will include:
- Teen/Parent agreement form
- Two (2) recommendations
- Short Answer Essay Questions
- Immunization records – requirements include: COVID vaccine(s), two (2) doses of MMR (measles, mumps, and rubella), two (2) doses of Varicella (chickenpox) and the Tdap immunization (Tetanus, diphtheria, whooping cough/pertussis). In lieu of documentation, a positive antibody blood titer can be obtained to confirm immunity.
Summer Teen Volunteer departments
Atrium Gift Shop Provide visitors, staff and patients with an exceptional shopping experience - Assist customers with check-out by running cash registers; assist with stocking supplies; assist with pricing merchandise; assist with designing and maintaining displays. In addition, the Gift Shop also runs a snack cart to the surgery waiting room. Volunteers assigned to the gift shop will take the snack cart around to families and visitors in the surgery center. If you like to shop, stay busy, and interact with many different people, the gift shop would be perfect for you!
Main Lobby Information Desk Welcome guests and visitors at the Main Lobby entrance with a warm, friendly greeting - assist with patient admissions, provide direction or escorts to various locations on campus. If you have a bright smile and an outgoing personality – this is the volunteer role for you!
Nursing Unit Aide – Several opportunities are available in various nursing units as a nursing unit aide - Provide patients and staff with exceptional service; assist nursing staff with discharges; lab runs; clerical duties; passing ice & water to patients; stocking supplies; and other tasks as needed. Please understand that working on a nursing floor does not equate to shadowing and you will not be allowed in a room when patient care is being administered by a doctor or a nurse. If you are an independent worker and quick with directions, you will love working on a nursing floor!
Volunteer Desk Provide exceptional service to patients and staff - Assist with patient discharges by using a wheelchair, take specimens to the lab, run errands, deliver patient mail & flower delivery; maintain cough stations; maintain wheelchair inventory; and more! If you prefer to stay busy, like to be on your feet, and want to interact with patients from all units, you will love this position!