Thank you for your interest in our College Student Volunteer Program!
The St. David’s Medical Center College Volunteer Program gives students a unique opportunity to experience a healthcare setting while gaining personal satisfaction through helping others. Our student volunteers work in departments throughout the hospital and make a lasting impression on our patients, visitors, and staff. Our college program is one of the largest in the city with over 250 students volunteering on a semester basis.
Student Volunteer Placement
All new student volunteers will spend a semester volunteering in our Atrium Gift Shop, Main Lobby Information Desk or Volunteer Desk (no exceptions). These areas allow you to become familiar with the hospital while allowing us to ensure these high priority areas are staffed. After your first semester, you may choose from over 25 clinical and non-clinical departments. Weekend and evening shifts are available, but limited. Students are asked to commit to a minimum of two semesters and 40 hours of volunteer service per semester (3-4 hours per week). The hour commitment for the summer semester is reduced due to its shorter length. Submission of an application does not guarantee placement. We will accept applications from Tuesday, June 29 – Monday, July 19, 2021. Completed packets are due by Noon on Thursday, July 22, 2021. Late applications/packets will not be considered.
Fall 2021 Timeline:
- Application Available: Tuesday, June 29 — Monday, July 19
- Completed Packets due: Noon on Thursday, July 22, 2021
- Interviews (by invitation): Sunday, August 1, 2021
- Orientation (by invitation): Saturday, August 21, 2021 (8:00am-5:00pm)
- Program begins: Wednesday, August 25, 2021
To become a College Volunteer:
- Apply: Interested applicants should complete the online application form. Applications are only accepted during specified time frames.
- Submit Additional Paperwork: Once your initial application has been received, our office will email you the additional paperwork needed to complete your application. These packets are due by Noon on Thursday, July 22, 2021. Please ensure we have your correct email address on file. Additional paperwork will include:
- Student agreement form
- Two (2) recommendation forms (to be returned to us in signature sealed envelopes)
- Essay (4 prompts)
- Immunization records – requirements include two (2) doses of MMR (measles, mumps, and rubella), two (2) doses of Varicella (chickenpox) and the Tdap immunization (Tetanus, diphtheria, whooping cough/pertussis). In lieu of documentation, a positive antibody blood titer can be obtained to confirm immunity. If you are a UT Student, immunizations may be obtained from the Student Services Building, Medical Release Office.
- Interview: After your completed application packet has been received, it will be reviewed and evaluated. Students selected for an interview will receive an email invitation. Peer interviews will be conducted by student volunteer leaders and community volunteers. If selected, participation in the interview process on Sunday, August 1, 2021 is mandatory, no make-up sessions will be available.
- Required screenings: Students accepted into the program will be required to pass a drug screening and background check, as well as TB screening. There will be no charge for these checks and they will be provided to you upon acceptance into our program.
- Orientation: Orientation will be held on Saturday, August 25, 2021. This is a mandatory orientation and you must be able to attend all day. There are no alternatives to this date. Details on orientation will be provided once accepted into the program. We are only able to accept a limited number of new students per semester.
What our students are saying:
“I have had a great experience volunteering at St. David’s Medical Center. I learned a lot about the field of healthcare and what it is like working at a hospital. I have improved my patient interaction skills, communication skills, and leadership. Thank you for giving me the opportunity to volunteer.”
“St. David's Medical Center gives amazing opportunities and has an amazing helpful staff!”
“I had a wonderful experience as a St. David’s Medical Center volunteer. I will always remember my service at this hospital.”