Thank you for your interest in our College Student Volunteer Program!
The St. David’s Medical Center College Volunteer Program gives students a unique opportunity to experience a healthcare setting while gaining personal satisfaction through helping others. Our student volunteers work in departments throughout the hospital and make a lasting impression on our patients, visitors, and staff. Our college program is one of the largest in the city with over 200 students volunteering on a semester basis.
Student Volunteer Placement
All new student volunteers will spend a semester volunteering in our Atrium Gift Shop, Main Lobby Information Desk or Volunteer Desk (no exceptions). These areas allow you to become familiar with the hospital while allowing us to ensure these high priority areas are staffed. After your first semester, you may choose from over 25 clinical and non-clinical departments. Weekend and evening shifts are available, but are limited. Students are asked to commit to a minimum of two semesters and 40 hours of volunteer service per semester (3-4 hours per week). The hour commitment for the summer semester is reduced due to its shorter length. Submission of an application does not guarantee placement. We will accept applications from Monday, July 10 – Friday, July 28, 2023. Completed packets are due by Noon on Friday, July 28, 2023. Late applications/packets will not be considered.
Fall 2023 Timeline:
- Application Available: Monday, July 10 – Friday, July 28, 2023
- Completed Packets due: Friday, July 28, 2023 by 12:00 p.m.
- Interviews (by invitation): Saturday, August 5, 2023
- Orientation/Training (by invitation): Saturday, August 19, 2023 (8:00am-5:00pm)
- Fall 2023 program dates: Monday, August 21, 2023 thru Monday, December 4, 2023
To become a College Volunteer:
- Apply: Interested applicants should complete the online application form. Applications are only accepted during specified time frames.
- Submit Additional Paperwork: Once your initial application has been received, our office will email you the additional paperwork needed to complete your application. These packets are due by Noon on Friday, July 28, 2023. Please ensure we have your correct email address on file. Additional paperwork will include:
- Student agreement form
- Two (2) recommendation forms
- Essay (4 prompts)
- Immunization records – requirements include: COVID vaccine(s), two (2) doses of MMR (measles, mumps, and rubella), two (2) doses of Varicella (chickenpox) and the Tdap immunization (Tetanus, diphtheria, whooping cough/pertussis). In lieu of documentation, a positive antibody blood titer can be obtained to confirm immunity. If you are a UT Student, immunizations may be obtained from the Student Services Building, Medical Release Office.
What our students are saying:
“I have had a great experience volunteering at St. David’s Medical Center. I learned a lot about the field of healthcare and what it is like working at a hospital. I have improved my patient interaction skills, communication skills, and leadership. Thank you for giving me the opportunity to volunteer.”
“St. David's Medical Center gives amazing opportunities and has an amazing helpful staff!”
“I had a wonderful experience as a St. David’s Medical Center volunteer. I will always remember my service at this hospital.”