St. David's North Austin Medical Center volunteers are a vital part of our healthcare team. Our volunteers have a rich history of providing exceptional services and support to our patients, hospital and community.
Phone: (512) 901-1223 (calls returned within 5 days)
Fax: (512) 901-6555
The St. David’s North Austin Medical Center Adult “Year Round” Volunteer program is designed to support and enhance the exceptional care given by our professionals. Volunteering provides you the opportunity to give back to your community, meet and network with new people, explore healthcare career changes, and/or utilize your skills in a new environment.
The Volunteer Services Department will work with you to determine a suitable volunteer position, which reflects your personal background. Our Volunteers work in a variety of traditional and non-traditional departments throughout the hospital and make a lasting impression on our patients, visitors, and staff.
Traditional Volunteer Areas include:
- Information Desk
- Volunteer Desk
- Clerical/Office Support
- Newborn Nursery
- Emergency Department
- Nursing Units
- Waiting Rooms
- Women’s Services
- Information Representative
- Pediatric Services
To become a volunteer at St. David’s North Austin Medical Center please download an application, consent to a background check and fax it back to us, or come by the office. Once your application has been submitted, our Volunteer Coordinator or a Volunteer Representative will contact you within five (5) business days.
Orientation Process for Adult Volunteers:
- Submit volunteer application
- Attend volunteer interview & complete background investigation
- Attend a volunteer orientation
- Complete TB test (provided by St. David’s)
- Meet with Volunteer Services for placement and training schedule
- Receive appropriate training to your assigned area of service
The St. David’s North Austin Medical Center Teen Volunteer Program gives young adults a unique opportunity to gain experience in a healthcare setting while gaining personal satisfaction by helping others. High school students ages 15 - 18 are invited to participate in our teen program. Teens must be 15 by June 1, 2018. We cannot make exceptions to this rule.
The Summer Program is 9 weeks, running from June 4 through August 3, 2018. Students must be available for 8 of the 9 weeks of the program. Teens volunteer two shifts per week, each lasting four hours. Available shifts for the summer teens will include: Volunteer Desks and Nursing Units.
Please note that all steps indicated in the Summer 2018 Timeline, including availability of application, application due date, notification of interview, interview, and orientation will be followed as indicated. Medical records indicating current immunizations must be available.
We want to ensure this is an enjoyable experience for you and it is important that you are able to meet the requirements above. If you are unable to do so, we encourage you to explore other opportunities available in the Austin community.
We wish we were able to accept all students who are interested in volunteering. However, our summer program is limited to 20 students. Submission of an application does not guarantee placement. Volunteering in previous years does not guarantee placement.
Summer 2018 Timeline
- Application available: Wednesday, February 28 – Wednesday, March 28, 2018
- Completed Application due: Wednesday, April 4, 2018
- Notification of Interview By: Monday, April 16, 2018
- Interview (by invitation): Saturday, April 28, or Sunday, May 6, 2018
- Orientation (by invitation): Saturday, May 19, 2018
- Summer Program dates: Monday, June 4 – Friday, August 3, 2018
Apply: Applicants should download an application, and consent to a background check and email (NAMC.Volunteers@HCAHealthcare.com); or fax 512-901-6555 Attn: Carol Germer; or deliver in person to the Volunteer Office the completed application.
Completed application must include:
- Teen/Parent agreement signed within application
- Pre-Voluntary Disclosure & Release signed within application
- Background Check information and authorization
- Recommendation letters (2) from school, work or volunteering, in sealed envelopes.
Immunization Record: These documents will be required at the interview. Immunization records – requirements include two (2) doses of MMR (measles, mumps, rubella), two (2) doses of Varicella (chicken pox) and the Tdap immunization (Tetanus, diphtheria, whooping cough/pertussis). In lieu of documentation, a positive antibody blood titer can be obtained to confirm immunity. All applicants accepted for interview who are invited to join the program will be required to have a 9 Panel Drug Screen and a TSpot (test for TB). This process will be explained at the interview.
Interview: (by invitation only): Interviews will be scheduled once all application materials have been received. The application deadline is April 4, 2018. The summer program is limited to 20 students. Submission of an application does not guarantee placement. Volunteering in previous years does not guarantee placement.
- Orientation: (by invitation only): Orientation will be held on Saturday, May 19, 2018. This is a mandatory orientation held at our St. David’s North Austin Medical Center Campus and you must be able to attend. Details on orientation will be provided once accepted into the program.
- Assignments: Teen volunteers are required to volunteer two shifts per week each lasting four (4) hours. Shifts will be Monday-Friday and students will be able to select morning (8:00am - 12 noon) or afternoon (12:00pm – 4:00pm) time slots. Available shifts for summer teens will include: Volunteer Information Desks, and other locations.
Are you at risk? Prevent & protect.
St. David’s HealthCare Help Center
- Find a doctor and make an appointment
- Answer healthcare questions
- Register for classes & events