A cancer diagnosis for you or a family member can be confusing, but you don’t have to navigate it alone. Through our partnership with Sarah Cannon, St. David’s CancerCare is pleased to offer free, 24/7 access to askSARAH—a dedicated phone line designed to help answer all cancer-related questions.
Whether you want to know about treatment options or want to find the best care close to home, calling askSARAH connects you directly to a nurse navigator who can help guide you through your questions. A nurse navigator is a healthcare professional trained in cancer care who functions as a patient advocate and aids in identifying resources for specific individualized needs. The navigator is dedicated to bringing together all multidisciplinary team members involved in the patient care. Nurse navigators are currently available for patients with gastrointestinal, lung and breast cancers.
Nurse navigators provide the following care:
- Reinforce patient education on disease process, treatment options and clinical trial availability
- Coordinate office visits across medical disciplines to streamline cancer care delivery
- Facilitate communication between all members of the healthcare team
- Organize multidisciplinary team conferences to promote collaboration in cancer treatment
- Provide personalized touch to cancer care by visiting patients at appointments, assessing patients’ needs and relating information to providers
- Serve as an ongoing source of support for patients and available to answer ongoing questions
- Help decrease barriers to care by assessing needs and linking patients with community resources.
We are pleased to add this additional level of service and encourage St. David’s CancerCare patients to call askSARAH at 512-840-6032 for valuable support and information.
St. David’s CancerCare is a partnership between St. David’s HealthCare and Sarah Cannon—the global cancer institute of Hospital Corporation of America—designed to provide coordinated and comprehensive oncology care for patients within St. David’s HealthCare facilities.