Everybody loves a good BLT sandwich, but have you ever enjoyed a BLT salad? This leafy concoction maintains all the flavor, including the bacon, and is only 151 calories per serving.
- 1 cup cubed whole-wheat country bread
- 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 4 medium tomatoes, divided
- 3 tablespoons reduced-fat mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons minced chives, or scallion greens
- 2 teaspoons distilled white vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 5 cups chopped hearts of romaine lettuce
- 3 slices center-cut bacon, cooked and crumbled
- Preheat oven to 350 degree. Toss bread with oil and spread on a baking sheet. Bake, turning once, until golden brown, 15 to 20 minutes.
- Cut 1 tomato in half. Working over a large bowl, shred both halves using the large holes on a box grater. Discard the skin. Add mayonnaise, chives (or scallion greens), vinegar, garlic powder and pepper; whisk to combine.
- Chop the remaining 3 tomatoes. Add the tomatoes, romaine and croutons to the bowl with the dressing; toss to coat. Sprinkle with bacon.