July 23, 2020
St. David’s HealthCare is offering a free insurance assistance hotline that allows uninsured individuals to speak with advisors about available services.
“Over the last few months, access to healthcare has never been more important, and many of our friends and neighbors have lost their health insurance due to unemployment or reduced work hours,” David Huffstutler, president and CEO of St. David’s HealthCare, said. “Delaying or avoiding critical medical care due to financial barriers can result in serious health complications.”
Hotline advisors can discuss eligibility and advocacy services that are appropriate for a variety of scenarios, such as:
- Continuing your employer's existing plan if someone has recently lost their job, including COBRA (Consolidated Omnibus Budget Reconciliation Act)
- Applying for coverage via a spouse's benefit program
- Identifying resources that may help offset the costs of health insurance
- Accessing Medicaid (government healthcare for those who meet certain criteria)
- Enrolling in state and federal health insurance exchanges (such as the Affordable Care Act) due to a qualifying life event
Individuals who need assistance with navigating insurance coverage while unemployed or furloughed can call (833) 541-5757 between 8:00am and 6:00pm Monday through Friday.
St. David’s HealthCare does not represent any insurance company or sell insurance plans. The hotline is intended to help individuals receive information to confidently manage health needs.