July 08, 2020
Austin, Texas – St. David’s Medical Center–including Heart Hospital of Austin and St. David’s Georgetown Hospital—and St. David’s North Austin Medical Center, including St. David’s Surgical Hospital, have been named among the nation’s 100 Top Hospitals by IBM Watson Health. The IBM Watson Health 100 Top Hospitals study spotlights the top-performing hospitals in the U.S. based on a balanced scorecard of publicly available clinical, operational and patient satisfaction metrics and data.
The study, which has been conducted annually since 1993, uses independent and objective research to analyze hospital and health system performance in 11 clinical and operational areas addressing:
- Risk-adjusted inpatient mortality index
- Risk-adjusted complications index
- Mean healthcare-associated infection index
- Influenza immunization
- Mean 30-day risk-adjusted mortality rate
- Mean 30-day risk-adjusted readmission rate
- Severity-adjusted length of stay
- Mean emergency department throughput
- Case mix- and wage-adjusted inpatient expense per discharge
- Adjusted operating profit margin
- Hospital Consumer Assessment of Healthcare Providers and Systems (HCAHPS) scores (This is a patient rating of overall hospital performance.)
This is the eleventh year in a row that St. David’s Medical Center, including Heart Hospital of Austin and St. David’s Georgetown Hospital, has been recognized as one of the nation’s 100 Top Hospitals. St. David’s North Austin Medical Center, including St. David’s Surgical Hospital, made its fourth appearance on the list.
The winning hospitals were announced online by Fortune magazine on June 30, 2020.
For more information, visit the 100 Top Hospitals website.