August 21, 2020
Austin, TX – With school back in session for some students—and classes right around the corner for others—St. David’s CareNow® is offering families with student athletes $20 sports physicals at 13 locations in the Austin area. Families can take advantage of this offer through Aug. 31.
Sports physical examinations are often required for participation in school sports, but requirements may vary as a result of the COVID-19 pandemic. Dr. David Wasserman, market medical director of St. David’s CareNow, strongly encourages parents to have their kids examined to ensure safe participation.
“While it’s not required at all school districts, we highly recommend having your child examined before returning to school sports,” Dr. Wasserman said.
A physical is the first step in making sure students are healthy and ready for any activity. Prior to a sports physical visit, parents should keep the following tips in mind:
- For the 2020-2021 school year, any participant in athletics or marching band who has not previously completed a sports physical and been cleared will be required to receive a sports physical prior to any UIL activities.
- Students should bring all necessary forms with them.
- All students must be accompanied by a parent or legal guardian if they are under the age of 18.
- Glasses or contacts must be brought in for sports physical.
- CareNow discounted physicals apply to students in grades K-12.
In an effort to protect students and their families, CareNow has increased its already stringent safety procedures. To learn more about enhanced safety protections, visit the St. David’s CareNow website.